From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 11:22:55 -0800
On 10 Jul 98 at 1:36, Justin Minard wrote:

> Every time I try to access my 3.5" floppy drive the drive spins
> and never stops I have to use ctrl+alt+del to shut it down so I can
> regain use of my computer.

  I have a bunch of machines on which that happens.  They're all
running NT 4.0 (Server, if that matters), and all have a particular
manufacturer's customized version of AMI BIOS.
  Searching the web, I found a report of such a problem, associated
with AMI BIOSes, and supposed to have been fixed two years ago.  [My
machines are less than a year old.]

  I've been meaning to experiment with a utility called TweakBIOS to
see if I could fix the problem that way.

  [Interesting Note:  This problem doesn't appear on the machine
running NT Terminal Server (Beta), suggesting that this version does
a more thorough job of replacing the manufacturer's BIOS than other
NT versions.]

David G