From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:40:08 -0800
  The "drive letters" that show up in Windows Explorer actually refer to
"partitions" on hard drives; you haven't created any yet on the new drive.

  There's a DOS-level utility for this, called FDISK.  I'm not sure whether
ME can run this in a DOS window, or whether you actually need to reboot to
DOS to be able to run it.

  FDISK has the advantage that it's free with the OS.  It had the
disadvantages that it's cryptic and kind of limited in funtionality.
  You may have seen mention in some other threads of a program called
Partition Magic, which is now sold under Symantec's brand.  It provides a
very nice GUI for laying out the partitions on a drive (on an 80GB drive,
you might want more than just one huge partition), and you can rearrange or
resize them even after you've started using them (which FDISK can't do).

  Partitions need to be formatted after they're created, before you can
actually use them.  THAT you can do from Windows Explorer, bu PM does a nice
job of automating that step, too.

David Gillett

On 30 Jan 2005 at 14:29, Beth Bolton wrote:

> I've managed to install more memory and a second harddrive.  I know that the
> extra memory is there because it shows up in various places, like the system
> device manager, but I cannot find any evidence that the new harddrive is
> actually installed in the system.  The new drive didn't come with any
> documentation.  How do I install it?  (Sorry if I'm using the wrong words.)
>
> I'm using Windows ME on a Dell 4100.  The second HD is 80GB, installed as
> slave; (made the mistake of forgetting to change the setting on the back of
> it when I first installed it, which got me an error message;) then when I
> started it up with the right settings, Windows ME just ran happily along -
> faster and more efficiently (but that could be thanks to the extra memory!).
> Windows explorer still shows the same drives as before (A, C, D, E) but C
> only has 18.6 GB - I think it originally had 20GB.
>
> Many thanks
> Beth

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml