From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 07:34:29 -0600
From: Brian L. Sanburn <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2000 10:27 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Two Printers Off One Computer

>         I have a HP LaserJet 5L and a Canon BJC-5100 that I'd like to
hook up to the same computer at the same time.
> This would, of course, give me the option of choosing one over the
other and seeing the results immediately
> without having to unplug the one and plug in the other and vice versa.
Thinking it was as easy as buying a
> splitter for the back of the computer, I headed off to my local
computer store.  Upon inquiring with the owner
> I was told, however, that having both an inkjet (the Canon) and a
laser setup in such a way could damage the
> laser (or was it the inkjet?).  In any event, I've put the plan on
hold in the hopes of getting some feedback
> from you.

The main problem with connecting two different kinds of printers to one
computer is that the computer must be able to use different drivers for
the two different printers.  This is what prevents you from connecting
two printers to the same printer port.  The only way to make this work
in a reliable manner is to buy a parallel printer port card and connect
the second printer to this.  Then install the drivers for the two
printers and assign them to the different parallel ports.  Then there is
no problem with switching between the two printers.

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html