From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 00:20:16 -0700
On 28 May 2002, at 12:03, David Cooley wrote:

> My problem is with a Fujitsu 6.4 G hard drive (HPB3064AT). I know
> it works because I had it installed in my computer as a slave drive
> and the AMIBIOS dated 3/30/2001 and W98SE  recognized its full
> capacity. My son formatted the drive, loaded W2000 on it and set it
> up as the master drive. At that point, it showed up as a 2 G drive
> only but works fine. I played around with the jumper settings on
> this HDD and found a setting where the full capacity is recognized
> but I get a "disk error occurred message" and it will not boot. I
> have asked Fujitsu support for help but have not heard from them.
> Anybody know how to solve this?

  Although NT and 2000 can format drives using FAT16 to 4GB in
capacity, 2GB is the normal maximum for FAT16 as formatted by Windows
95/98/ME.  It sounds to me rather as if he may have formatted the
drive this way under 98, before beginning to install 2000 on it.  Or,
if he used the 2000 install was used to do the format, he may have
been asked if he wanted "support for large drives" and answered
(incorrectly, as it turns out) "No".

  I believe the correct procedure is to restore the jumpers to their
correct positions, and re-format and reinstall, chosing large drive
support and either FAT32 or NTFS format.

David Gillett

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com