From:
Max Timchenko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 18:15:21 +0200
Hello Mary,

Friday, August 27, 1999, 10:09:58 AM, you wrote:

MEZ> Hi,

MEZ> Would someone be kind enough to talk me through a direct cable connection
MEZ> between two home computers?
MEZ> They are sitting on the same desk... I want to share files. I did it before
MEZ> with a serial cable connecting both computers (too long ago to remember how
MEZ> I did it), this time I am using a parallel cable. I found it frustrating
MEZ> before and can't remember how I did it with Win 95. I do remember I had
MEZ> trouble with the protocol or language- whatever has to be the same on each
MEZ> computer to allow one to "hear" the other.
MEZ> I'm finding the little documentation I have does not go deeply enough into
MEZ> the  network connection software configuration.
MEZ> One computer is running regular Win 98, one Win 98 second edition.
MEZ> Physically they are connected by a parallel cable. How do I configure the
MEZ> network software?

Just cable won't do. There is a special serial null-modem cable and
special parallel null-modem cable.

Serial null-modem is probably too slow for any network software (9600 bps).

I have never heard of any way to network-configure parallel
null-modem, all uses I know are copying files and playing games.

+=-.
| Max Timchenko [MaxVT]
| [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
| (ICQ) 238-6792