From:
Don L Elias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 03:37:47 -0500
With my old dot matrix printer (FX-80) many years ago, I used to
be able to send and print the actual hex code.  (This was with
my Apple IIe and it required many "patches" to the Applewriter
program to make it do things that would now be trivial.)  I
think the FX-2180 is a 24 pin dot matrix printer same as the the
FX-80???????????

Can you read hex?
Can you operate in that mode with your printer???
If so you, could see if the actual code was being received by
the printer.

Good luck!!!!

Don Elias

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 16:29:15 +0530 Bharat Ale
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> PCBUILD Digest - 26 Jul 2002 to 27 Jul 2002 (#2002-209)Hi,
>
> Printer Epson FX-2180 was printing garbage even from pure DOS mode
> but was fine when self test. Tried everything, changing cables,
> settings etc Opened up and took out the BIOS chip from the interface
> board and shorted all pins. After that, the printer prints fine from
> DOS mode. But from Windows, it cannot print graphics including the
> printer test page -esp the Windows logo. When the graphics part
> comes, it prints a little jumps way down or prints garbage. It
> prints texts from Notepad alright. I have tested in different
> machines and OS (Win9x, Win NT, WIn2k). Driver is installed correct,
> Win2k even autodetects its installs the correct drivers.
>
> I have tried by changing settings within the printer (like
> bi-directional, uni-directional, high speed draft on/off, I/F mode,
> IBM printer mode, Software mode, buffer enable/disable etc, in fact
> every available setting).
>
> Any suggestion is appreciated.

                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>