From:
David Olds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 11:47:05 -0500
>>Most PCI modems I've seen are all "winmodem" or software based modems
which require system RAM & CPU power to operate, and they will be
nothing but headaches.<<

Although I would never "recommend" a winmodem as an ideal solution. Many of
my customers are not willing to care about much more than price. So I have
installed gosh, it seems like 30-40 anyways. I just have not had any
problems with these in any way shape or form. Installations were easy and
the software was very workable. In fact I put one in my own computer *gasp*
for a second modem, so I could use one for answering machine and backup
internet work on a second line. A fall-back as it were....Anyways, with a
Celeron PII I cannot even notice a difference in performance over the hard
modem in heavy surfing. On my older K6/233 there was a huge hit.....I am
beginning to wonder if we are past this "CPU hit" as fact in real world
performance.

David Olds

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html