From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 16:38:57 -0400
Wanda,

See below......

Jim

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wanda Irby" <[log in to unmask]>

> It was not 5 minutes or five days but several weeks.

Great!  You had a successful upgrade and used it for
quite a while, then something happened.

> I get no messages at all.  When I try to boot from the harddrive,
> it goes to the Windows 98 first  screen and hangs there,

There is still hope.  When you FIRST turn on the computer,
you will see several messages about video display, keyboards
and a few other odds n ends.  Look for the single line stating:

STARTING WINDOWS 95.....

as soon as you see that, press the F8 function key
(you only have 3-5 seconds to do this, so be alert!)

You will now see a menu of options.
Press the number for a STEP BY STEP start up..

Now your computer will stop and tell you what
it is about to do, and will ask permission to perform
the next step.  Keep in mind what it is working on
and press Y for each question.

Let us know what the last question was before it "hangs".

> also it is the same when I try to boot from the floppy.

Try the above suggestion first.

> The computer came with Windows 3.11, I upgraded to 95 then recently
> to 98.

I understand the progression, but the question is::::
Is your Windows 98 CD a "full install" or an "upgrade" CD?
There is a difference.

> Yes, I have the 95 CD but with the boot disk that will get me into
> it does not load the CD drive.

You should create a "fresh" boot disk from one of the office PCs.
AND.... you need to install and configure a UNIVERSAL CD driver.
Roxanne Pierce has furnished us with her preferred driver and it is
available in the Nospin download area.  But work through the
above suggestions first.  You may not need a boot disk just yet.

Jim Meagher

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html