From:
Elizabeth Boston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 23:09:09 -0400
Good evening,

I have recently run into a problem that I have not seen before.

I was setting up a new computer and everything went as usual. I
partitioned the hard drive into two partitions. C: is 90% of the
drive, and D: is 10%. I set the first partition as active, re-booted
and then formatted both drives. I began to install windows 98, and
during the first re-boot of the install, it stopped with message
telling me it couldn't boot, please insert boot CD. I double checked
everything I had done, and checked the boot sequence in the BIOS.
Everything looked like it should be fine.

I tried a second hard drive with the same results.

I took the hard drive home and tried it in a working machine. The hard
drive would not boot.

Tonight in a class that I teach, one of my students was building his
first computer, and he had the same exact problem. He is using a
totally different motherboard, and the only thing both situations seem
to have in common, is that they are all Western Digital drives
purchased in the past few weeks, and the same boot disk was used to
fdisk and format the drives.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?

Elizabeth Boston

      Elizabeth Boston
   Moderator/Senior Editor
      The NOSPIN Group