From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 21:23:11 -0400
On Wednesday 31 July 2002 09:05 am, bobwarasila wrote:
> Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 10:02 AM
> Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] DIY project-How to partition for XP
>
> > I'm wondering if Grub or Lilo (linux boot loaders) couldn't handle the
>
> dual
>
> > boot?  I have done this with win9x and win2k.  I haven't researched it a
>
> lot
>
> > but found one article that talks about XP and Mandrake.......am attaching
>
> it
>
> > below.
> >
> > *****************************
> > Dual Boot Windows XP and Mandrake Linux 8.1
> > By: Jason Young
> > Open Waters Solutions
> > www.openwaters.net/solutions
> >

> > How to install Mandrake 8.1 and XP on the same computer.
> >
> > What you need:
> > 1. A computer with XP on it.
> > 2. A cd copy of Mandrake 8.1
> > 3. Partitioning program. I recommend Partition Magic 7.0 since 6.0 is not
> > compatible with XP.
> > 4. An hour or so of free time. (depending on the speed of your computer)
> > 5. A few Dr. Peppers and some munchies.
>
> George,
>
> Thanks for the article.  Sounds as if I can procrastinate on the whole
> issue of how to set my disk now by simply using PartitionMagic 7 when I'm
> ready to play with LINUX.  I think I'll  just split the remaining space
> ~68GB into two logical drives.   This just leaves me with the question
> about FAT32 vs. NTFS.  The extended partition "wizard" is not giving me a
> choice, it insists on NTFS even though the primary partition (C:) where XP
> resides is a FAT32 format.
>
> Bob Warasila

Bob:
If you're going to install Linux in the near future, why not leave some
unpartitioned space for it now? That way you don't need PM, and you don't
place your XP installation in jeopardy when you install Linux. Just pop in
the CD's and go. Most Linux distributions (Mandrake, RedHat, SUse, etc) will
find the unused space, take care of whatever Linux partitions you choose, do
the installation, and install the bootloader (LILO or Grub).
Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml