From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 13:56:31 -0500
Sounds like the HD might have some physical damage on
one of the platters... That is the only time I have seen that
message...

OTOH, I'd get ZAP or WIPE from IBM and erase at least the
first section of the drive. (Or get the utilities for testing the drive
from the drive manufacturer.)

After I was sure the drive was, or at least appeared to most
or all utilities) to be empty, I'd do the FDisk and a LONG format.

Since the drive is "suspect" don't even try a quick format (such
as with EZDrive or MaxBlast, etc.

That is the only thing (cheap) that will tell the real condition of a
drive "up front" and with a minimum of effort...

                                       Rick Glazier

From: <[log in to unmask]>