From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 15:48:56 -0500
I have a SB Live PCI card and it installs drivers under the sound card and a
heading in Device Manager called "Creative Miscellaneous Devices".  Both of
these drivers require IRQ's.  The drivers under "Creative Miscellaneous
devices" allow compatibility with DOS and these drivers require that a
normal IRQ for DOS compatibility be installed usually IRQ 5 or 7.  I do not
know whether your SB64 PCI does this or not but that may cause the IRQ
conflict with your modem not the IRQ assigned under the Sound Card in Device
Manager.  I may have missed this information but what IRQ does your PCI
modem use?  I would check all of the settings for your modem and sound card
to see if they are sharing IRQ's, DMA's or I/O's.  The only information I
could find on the Creative site for your sound card was this:

Hardware Settings
Note: all resource settings are software selectable via Plug and Play.

Interrupt (IRQ): 5, 7, 9, 10
DMA Channel: 0, 1, 3
Sound Blaster I/O Address #1: 220, 240
Sound Blaster I/O Address #2: 388
Base/MIDI port I/O Address: 320, 330, 340, 350
Wave Synthesizer I/O Address: 530, E80, F40 Hex

If windows is selecting an IRQ, DMA or I/O address other then the ones
listed above that could be your problem.

They haven't any trouble shooting information for your card on their site
but the SB live is supposed to be placed in either the first or second PCI
slot to work, basically they tell you the higher the better.  I have mine in
PCI slot 2.  I had to manually adjust the IRQ for the "Creative
Miscellaneous device" on both of my computers for the sound cards to work.
I used IRQ 5.

Mary Wolden

From: Arif Ullah Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 1999 6:37 AM

> Hello,
>
> I have tried everything that everyone has suggested including reinstalling
> Win98. Now I've found out that either my PCI modem or the PCI sound card
> works, but not together!! No matter which slot I put them in. :'(
>
> I have run out of ideas and am now really frustrated. Any new ideas any
one?
> For everyone's convenience I have included the original message also.
Thanks
> for any help.
>
> Subject: [PCBUILD] Creative PCI64 soundcard installation problem (IRQ
> conflict)
>

> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I am having some problems trying to install Creative PCI64 soundcard in
> > my computer. My computer has the following specifications:
> >
> > AMD K6-2 350 MHz
> > TMC TI5VG+ MoBo with 1 Gig cache (100 MHz)
> > 96MB Dimm Ram
> > ATI Expert@Work 8MB video card (in PCI slot 1)
> > Diamond SupraExpress 56i Pro V90 internal modem (in PCI slot 2)
> > Win 98
> >
> > When I install the PCI64 card in my  PCI slot 5, the win 98 recognises
> > instantly and I can install the drivers. But just at the end of
> > installation, the following message comes up:
> >
> > Audio PCI interrupt has been routed incorrectly by the system. Audio PCI
> > inactive. Use Automatic settings in the device manager
> >
> > I can't chage the IRQ settings from device manage and it is already in
> > Automatic as far as I can see. IRQ 10 or 11 is assigned to the card each
> > time I tried to install it, Which are usually asigned to my modem.
> >
> > I also tried to set the IRQ in the bios (Award bios) accortding to the
> > instructions in the Readme file in the driver disk without any success.
At
> > the moment my Bios PNP settings are as follows:
> >
> > PNP OS installed          :yse
> > Resources Controlled by   :Auto
> > Reset Configuration Data  :Disabled
> > ACPI I/O Device Node      :Disabled
> >
> > PCI IRQ Activated by       :Level (other option is Edge)
> > Assign IRQ for USB         :Disabled
> > Assign IRQ for VGA         :Enabled
> >

> > I tried installing a ISA sound card in the ISA slot and it works
> perfectly.
> > No problem at all. I am totally at a loss with the Creative card.
> >
> > Please help if possible. Sorry for the LONG(?) post. Thanks in advance
for
> > your time and any help.
> >

> > Arif Ullah

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's: