From:
Wayne Copeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 12:53:17 -0500
My sugestions:

Do not get an internal DSL/Cable modem for your Windows 2000
server, get an external modem.  Purchase a hardware firewall (with
switch or hub ports) to put between the DSL/Cable modem and your
network.  Your setup would look something like:

 (Internet cloud)

 [Cable/DSL Line]

 [Cable/DSL modem]

 [hardware firewall/hub]
  | | | | |
(other computers, including the server)

Your hardware firewall would get it's IP address from the ISP and
most firewall's will provide DHCP services (you may need to
configure it).  If you use the same IP (private address) range in
the firewall you simply stop the DHCP services on your Windows 2000
server and you won't need to touch your other computers.  I've done
this a few times and this is what I have set up at home.  You would
want to configure a static IP address for your server.

Wayne Copeland         |  (651) 297-3391
State of Minnesota     |  (651) 296-5745 (fax)
390 North Robert St.   |  [log in to unmask]
Saint Paul, MN 55101   |
          ------------------------------
Opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect those
 of my employer!

Hello all!

I am in the process of researching the best broadband access for a
client. When they chose who to go with, they will have me set it up
for
them. Right now, 8 computers share a dial-up account on the Windows
2000
server. My basic plan is to attach the broadband modem (either
cable or
ADSL) to the server. My thought is that the clients will not have
change any of their settings, as they connect to the internet now
through the LAN. (If anyone sees problems with my thought process
here
or anywhere, please let me know...).

My question(s) revolve around the server: are there any gotchas
associated with adding a broadband modem to the server? Any
different
services that would have to be enabled? Any issues concerning
addressing? (TCP/IP protocol is used internally).

Sorry that this question is so nebulous, but I keep hearing scary
music
(you know, the music that crescendos just before the monster
attacks) as
I prepare for this job. Thank you for your time and thoughts. It is
much
appreciated!

Best, Will Stephenson

mailto:[log in to unmask]