From:
Robert Lendrim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 2010 13:14:49 -0500
Hi Peter, I found a very long thread about similar problem with the WGR614.
Here are a couple of things to try:

"I was having the same problem with my WGR614 , tried various things on my
computer including emptying the temporary files etc. Finally went to my junk
box and found a 12 volt power supply, plugged it in and it has not missed a
beat since. Probably you could get a new power supply from NetGear, the one
I am using is a RadioShack TV "

"Okay, I'm not sure why disabling UpNp would matter, but I've now had 2
weeks of don't-need-to-reboot-the-router service."

Concerning a router recommendation, here's an off-the wall idea. There is a
third party free firmware called "Tomato" available at polarcloud.com.  Some
people buy a used Linksys (or other compatible router) on Ebay and install
the Tomato firmware. It's claimed it offers better performance and more
options than factory firmware.
Good luck, Bob