From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 10:48:05 -0500
Write cache works by waiting for idle time to write memory out to disk.
This is sometimes referred to 'commit to disk'.  Often a max time to wait
for an idle timeslice is specified, if the time is exceeded the write takes
place anyway, by taking time away from the active process.  Turning it off
is just a performance issue, since writes will happen immediately,
regardless of how busy the cpu and disk subsystem may be.

Since the contents of the write cache may be committed to disk somewhere in
the range of a fraction of a second to 10 seconds (idle times are not in
short supply, so writes happen very soon after the data is changed), the
cache does not produce much of a delay in writing the disk.  Even a cheap
UPS (uninterruptible power supply) battery backup will prevent your
situation from re-occurring.

I do not have write cache off, but I do use a battery backup UPS.

Tom Turak