From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 02:58:30 -0400
In this situation I have successfully used the "Find" or Sarch" function to
look for computers on the network with great success. I have no idea why
that would succeed when normal network procedures don't.
I have also seen the problem with the Network setup disk, but only when an
ethernet card was present. I checked the "Ignore disabled network hardware"
box and all was well.
If this doesn't help, I would remove all the networking components in the 98
computer and start over.
I hate when this happens-how much do you charge for a problem you didn't
really cause and takes way too long to fix?
 Both computers can see themselves on the network, but cannot see the other.
have turned off the firewalls, I have checked to make sure that there are no
demands for authentication within the network, I have rerun the "create a
small business/home network" wizard many times on the XP machine (and
created a network setup disk for the Win98 computer which won't work because
the wireless card works through software which loads after the network setup
wizard tries to run, so it can't find a working network card...grr). The
router information has not changed (though I did disable the DHCP in the
router and assigned IP addresses to each machine: same result).

I am stuck. The hardware seems to work fine. Am I missing something simple?
Is there any road less traveled that might lead to a solution?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml