From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 06:58:37 -0800
Hi William,

You can do this, but it is done in a different place. Find "My Computer"
(In XP, it may be on the Start menu if you use the native XP look and
feel), and right click on it. From the menu, select "Manage".

In the "Computer Management" applet, click on "Disk Management". In the
right hand pane of the "Computer management" screen, you will see all your
disks, partitions, and CDroms. For any partition or removeable drive, you
can right click on the square and select "Change Drive Petter and path".
This "Disk Management" interface is also how you would partition and format
new drives you have added.

Obviously, if you want your CDrom drive to be further down the alphabet,
you need to change that first. If the letter you want to change it to is
occupied, then you need to change that to some high letter (like Z)
temporarily.

Of course, you need to be logged in with Administrator privilege to do any
of this.

Russ Poffenberger

At 04:38 PM 1/10/2005, you wrote:
>From: William Patton
>Date: January 10, 2005
>Subject: Harddrive Designation Letters
>

>I had two harddrives on the primary channel(Master/Slave) and two cd drives
>on the secondary channel.  It use to be that the two harddrives would be C:
>and D: followed by any logical drives and then the CD drives.  I had C-J
>drives.  I installed a new HD in the same position as the old one -slave on
>the Primary channel with 3 logical drives.  Now my D: drive is one of the
>CDdrives and the new HD is later in the alphabet.  Previously, Under WinME,
>I could designate the drive letter for Cd/DVD drives.  I like to have a
>letter later in the alphabet to allow for adding logical drives on the
>harddrive.  In Win XP I don't find this setting in properties for the CD
>drives.  How can I correct this situation so that the 2 Primary HD's are
>first followed by the Logical drives?  How can I push the CDDrives later
>into the alphabet?  OS is Windows XP-Home, SP2.  Thank you, William Patton

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>