From:
Lewis c Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2006 21:17:23 -0400
Well, while I'm no expert here I can offer you what I went through to get
the laptop here up and running on wireless.  If you're in a city with a
good library or a well-equipped Senior Center or with a number of
restaurant facilities like Starbucks, Panera Bread, or Krystal they just
may offer a wireless "hot spot" where you can access the Internet with a
wireless computer that's within range of that facility - probably within
a hundred or so feet.  If you're not able to get within range of one of
these "hotspots" then you'll have to create your own.  I did this by
getting a cable modem and a router from a local computer store, and
subscribing to the cable ISP - same outfit that supplies cable TV
connects in my area.  I also purchased a "Self Install Kit" that had all
the instructions, software, and the necessary hardware needed.  It was
not a difficult job, but I did have to call the cable company once as
well as the supplier for the modem and router.  They were most helpful
and it took very little time to get up and running.  Once I got connected
I was kicking myself for not having done this much earlier as the speeds
compared to my old dialup connection were unbelievable.  I'm sure you'll
experience this feeling too once you are connected.

There may be a way to get a wireless system up and running with a dialup
modem, but I've not tried that and will never ever go back to a
old-fashioned dialup system again.  If you don't intend to have a mobile
computer, but one that's fixed in one location I'm not sure why one would
need a wireless setup.  I used a "wired" system for many years, but with
the laptop that came equipped with wireless I take it on all my trips -
most hotels and motels now provide wireless connectivity.  In fact, while
this may not be the right thing to do, you probably can just park outside
of a hotel/motel and use their hotspot to connect.  A bit inconvenient
perhaps, but it'll sure get you "hooked" on wireless and a high speed
connection.

I'm sure you'll get better advice from others, but I just wanted to give
you a brief picture of my experiences.

Good Luck!

Lewis Emerson

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:09:25 -0400 KATHY SCHRIEBER
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> Hi I am new to wireless, just got the card software drivers  for my
> laptop-what else do I need to have?  When I try to connect there is
> never a connection available.  I don't subscribe to any wireless
> thing-just a dialup account with Earthlink.  Do I need some other
> piece of hardware or is it an account I need with someone? thanks in
> advance
> kathy
>
>          PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml