From:
Venkat Viswanathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 00:45:39 -0400
Joyces' post:-

<<<< Super!  Thank you, Tom M. and Lewis E.  That would save me a bundle, and lots of time and frustration over the slow performance of this beast, too. Hmmmm, of course I was told this by a salesman, but if there is any risk of static discharge while I'm installing it, I't'd be likely I'd wipe out the new stick, question mark?  (He recommended I bring it in, for a total cost of about $135! <grin>)  So besides a rubber mat under my feet and on the work table, what would I need to insure against that happening?  I have wall-to-wall carpeting, so I think the risk may be there... >>>>.

 Hi,

(1) very easy--true BUT from the perspective of having worked inside a computer before.

(2) obviously this will be your first time.

(3) go through the pictures in the link provided by Thomas Mayer snd familiarise yourself with the "insides" of the system and the location of the ram sticks.

(4)get hold of a pair of anti static gloves. will come in handy. if not ENSURE that your one hand is always touching the computer case metal while working.

(5) $ 135 (not paid) is not too much for the advise about  static discharge. it can do great harm.

(6) remember about the warranty/ compatibility of the new ram pointed out by others.

(7)after ascertaining the type/specs of your existing ram ask the vendor whom you choose what will be compatible and also ensure the vendor has a decent "return" policy just in case something goes wrong.

you will have great satisfaction after you install.

very good luck---Venkat

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>