From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 09:36:14 -0500
At 03:18 AM 01/01/2001 John Villegas wrote:
> ... Now i have to try and install the fire wire card but I have no slots
> I have lots of stuff on my ASUS motherboard, perhaps i can remove a card
> that im not using and replace it with the fire wire card ...CPU
> PII-400 ASUS p2b , Ram 128 sdram, displaycard asus v2740 8m tv in/out...
> ... soundcard pci triplex red chilli, dvd card,winview 601,philips camera
>,labtec 2420,  Unamx scanner, epson printer... just no more room , what
>can i remove..??

John:

You might indeed have a spare PCI slot for the firewire card, since there
usually are 4 PCI slots in a Asus P2B. [In the future, please be more
specific about details, i.e., the bus connections of the adapters.] Have
you opened up your computer and inspected it for expansion possibilities?

If you have all the PCI slots in use but have a spare ISA slot, you could
replace the PCI sound card with an ISA one. Or, if you don't have any slots
at all, you might remove your DVD card and use a software player.

The savvy computer tech would. . . . .  merely build herself a new Athlon
1GHz Thunderbird with on-board RAID support for a digital video
workstation. Prices are cheap enough to warrant it.

With DV, the faster the processor, video and I/O subsystem, the better and
faster the editing and encoding (assuming you wish to burn videos onto CDs
for playback on other PCs and home DVD players).

HTH.

John Chin

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org