From:
Larry Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 09:06:27 -0600
Paul;
Here is a very good Microsoft Knowledge Base article on MS-DOS Compatibility
Mode Problems
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q151/9/11.asp

Usually this just means your hard drive controllers are wrong or not
installed correctly.
Or you may have real mode cdrom drivers loading in autoexec.bat or
config.sys.
I would boot in safe mode and delete all the hard drive controllers then let
windows plug and play
them again, this usually sorts out the problem.
The article also tells you how to search the registry for a "noide" entry
and delete it.
I have done this as well.