From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 08:10:48 -0600
At 11:20 AM 9/22/2002, you wrote:

>laptop only bbots in Dos mode now (
>Ever since I rebooted my laptop in Dos mode from 98. It keeps starting up in
>dos mode now.
>
>If I type exit I get the following
>
>It just restarts the laptop
>
>this is a copy of the autoexec.bat
>
>@echo off
>set tmp=c:\windows\temp
>set temp=c:\windows\temp
>set prompt=$p$g
>set winbootdirc:\windows
>set path=c:\windows;c:\windows;c:\windows\command.com;c:\thinkpad;c:\mww\dll
>set mwpath=c:\mww\dll;c:\mww\dsp
>set libpath=c:\mww\dll
>set mwroot=c:\mww
>set incoluclanc:\progta~1\comput~1\inocul~1
>set blaster=a220 I5 D1 T4
>REM
>REm the following lines have been created by windows. DO not modify them.
>rem
>c:
>cd c:\windows
>call c:\windows\command,com
>c:\windows\win.com /wx
>

>Config.sys
>

>dos=single
>dos=high,umb
>device=c:\windows\himen.sys
>device= c:\windows\cwdinit.exe /a
>

>=====
>The laptop will boot in safe mode ok.
>
>If I REM the last lines in the autoexec.bat I get the following
>
>You are currently running in MS-Dos mode do you want to return to normal
>mode, to run windows applications again [enter=y] esc=n] if i press y or
>enter the laptop reboot and continues this cycle.
>
>Has anyone got any ideas?

Yes,  you need to make the following changes to your command
files:

Config.sys:   Remove everything and leave it blank

Autoexec.bat:  Remove the following lines

     c:
     cd c:\windows
     call c:\windows\command,com
     c:\windows\win.com /wx

Once you have removed all these lines it will boot to Windows...
(I did a quick experiment with adding these lines to a Win98 machine
and got the problems you reported.  I removed the lines listed above
and the system booted normally).

    Bob Wright
The NoSpin Group

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,