From:
Greg Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 23:42:53 -0700
I have a customer that has 2 PC's networked together and they are
experiencing a problem I have not seen before. Here is the setup:

PC A: considered "main" PC, AMD K6 266, 64MB RAM, 3.2 GB HDD (C/D
partitions), ISA 10base-T, NIC, WIN95 (950A)
PC B: Intel P133 Packard Bell, 32MB RAM, 2.5GB HDD, ISA 10base-T NIC,
WIN95 (950.A)
LinkSys 8 port 10MB hub. Both have IPX and Netbeui(?) installed in
network. Both have file sharing checkmarked. And the C & D drive on PC
"A" are marked for sharing with full authority. The C drive on PC "B"
also is shared w/full authority.

From PC "A"
I can read data on PC "B"'s CD-ROM, and view folders & read files on
it's drive C: Everything is normal.

From PC "B"
I can look in network neighborhood and see the CD-ROM, Drive C & D on PC
"A". I read data from PC "A"'s CD-ROM while sitting at PC "B". I can
open, move and copy files on the D drive in PC "A" from PC "B". I can
see drive C on PC "A", but get no response when attempting to open
anything on it. From Network Neighborhood, Explorer and File Manager I
get no response from network drive. If I right click on Drive C on PC
"A" and MAP NETWORK DRIVE I get no response from network resource.

So I then go to PC "A" and reboot it and go back to PC "B".  I have the
same problem from PC "B" looking at PC "A"s drive C. I can still view
files on drive C, create new files, rename old files, delete temp files,
run MS Word, run a DOS chiropractic software package, print to local
LPT1 printer and dial out on the modem from PC "A" crossing the network
to PC "B"

When I go back to PC "B" everything works just like it should for the
CD-ROM and drive D on PC "A". But I still cant map a different drive
letter to the PC "A"'s C: drive. I ran tests from Checkit & Trouble
Shooter on the main PC's C: drive and get no failures. I am at a loss
why the drive seems to work just fine on when used by its own system,
but not across the network. I am hoping I am overlooking a very simple
explanation for this problem, I welcome any thoughts or offline
response's.

TIA

Greg Anderson