From:
Paul Hachmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 22:21:06 -0400
Standard power available from the power connectors is either 5 or 12 volts.  Yes, you could fry something intended for 5 volts if it gets fed 12 volts.  In general, both the ribbon cable and the power connector have one side with red markings
and/or a red wire.  In most situations, the red markings should be next to each other.
After making sure cables are on properly, boot the computer, go into setup\control panel\system properties\device manager\disk drives   and remove/delete any floppy drives listed.  Exit setup and reboot the computer.  Windows 98 should see
the 'new' drive and reinstall the drivers.

John Pring wrote:

> Hi, me again..... HELP
>
> My A drive isn't working, I've just put a new one in, just in case the old one had died but NOTHING, not even the LED!  I thought I may have put the cable in the wrong way so I turned it up the other and now the LED is on all the time! :(
>
> Can I blow any circuits inside the drive by putting the cable in the wrong way?
>
> I'm running Win98 SE, Windows does see the A drive & because I had a Trojan attack earlier today, I need to backup my work.
>
> Thanks
>
> John P
>
>          PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml