From:
Kenneth Whyman SC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2011 17:17:33 -0700
There is a limit to the shelf life of the dye layer that stores
information in a writable or re-writable optical disc. Re-writable discs
are more vulnerable to this because of their design nature. Great swings
in temperature accelerate the dye's degradation. For permanent archival,
there are specifically designed write-once discs that will preserve
information for about 100 years when stored away from light and heat.