From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 22:10:27 -0800
>  Is the 850 meg ram drive an actual added component or a set-up of existing
>hardware?
>-Phillip-

Software = http://www.ramdisk.tk/ I bought the $12 supported Pro version.
But there is other software available that will do this. Proceed with
caution, and make sure you image your OS before starting to play with it.
If it chokes you may not be able to boot. Different hardware reacts
differently.

Don't waste you time with this unless you have at least 1.5GB of RAM
because you need a good size temp drive to make this work well, and if it
is too small, then apps will crash and burn when they run out of space. You
can set this up to auto resize the drive, but when I try this on my dual
Xeon system, it won't boot.

And if you don't do things that can take advantage of the RAM Disk, you
really won't notice a difference. You will have to change the Windows Temp
environment, so Windows will use the Temp drive, but some apps will insist
on using \windowns\temp regardless of what you tell it to use.

When you need it, and it works, then it works great, but it is not a off
the shelf solution that works for every system. If it doesn't work, then it
is quite capable of bringing your system to it's knees.

Good luck.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://www.freepctech.com/rode/

           The NOSPIN Group is now accepting donations to help
          defer the costs of providing PCBUILD and our website.
           Visit http://freepctech.com to donate using PAYPAL