From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:50:48 -0400
Most programs allow you to choose the installation folder during the install process.  Consider this though: The drive heads have to find the program and its files on your e: drive, then go to the c: drive to find the system files or other app files installed there to run the program. A lot of head travel and reads to run each program.  I think that's why the default install folder is nearly always c:\program files\?.  If you're doing that because you think it will be easier to reformat and install the OS by not having to reinstall the programs, think again. If you reformat C: and reinstall the OS, everything on e: will be useless since there will be nothing in the new registry or in system files related to any of those applications.  You'll have to separately reformat e: and reinstall all the programs.  What's the advantage to doing it that way?

>>         I recently re-partitioned a new HDD (Maxtor DiamondMax Plus)
>> that now contains a primary partition and an extended partition with
>> three logical
>> drives. C drive has WIN98SE, D drive contains the swap file, E drive
>> is a program/games drive and F drive is for files. My question is
>> this: I want to place all of the program files into the E drive, will
>> this have any adverse effects?
>
>>        Any help would be appreciated.
>
>You shouldn't have any problems with any software. I routinely store program
>files on drives other than the drives / partitions where I place the OS.
>
>Regards
>
>Vince
>
>            Do you want to signoff PCBUILD or just change to
>                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
>                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.