From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2006 16:19:25 -0500
Tony, you didn't give enough information for anyone to answer your question
completely.

First of all, does the motherboard support this Raid configuration that you
want, or do you have some software/hardware combination to make it work?

I will assume that the motherboard supports it.  In that case, you must
install the Raid before you install Windows.  Most likely, during the
boot-up, you will have to press "F5" or something.  This will take you to
the Raid setup screen.  At that time, you will tell the system how you want
to configure it (as I see it, you want some combination of striped and
mirrored, but I have forgotten the meaning of the numbers).  The system will
set it up. If, as I think is the case, you are having two disks striped, and
then mirrored, your Windows will only see one logical drive of size equal to
two physical drives (I have not done this 0, 1 combination.  Only the
striped.)  Then, if I recall correctly, you can partition the "one drive"
using Fdisk (I am not sure of this).  Windows will install on top of that,
after formatting.

I am not one hundred percent sure of the above, but it is basically correct.
You need to look at the documentation that accompanied your motherboard to
find out more.

If, on the other hand, you are using some add-on Raid card, then you need to
follow the directions of that card.

This information should get  you started, and, perhaps, allow you to ask a
more specific question and supply details to the method that you intend to
implement your Raid.  For example, what motherboard/cpu you are using and
what hardware you are using to implement the Raid.

Dean Kukral