From:
Lance Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 22:33:43 +0900
On Sun, 01 Mar 1998 07:51:00 -0500, Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> At 13:43 01-03-98 +0900, Lance Cummings <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >Perhaps you can tell me if the ability of ultra to double the clock
> >rate means that ultra would probably support higher bus speeds...
> >such as 75 mhz or 83 mhz.
>
> When you overclock the system bus from 66 mhz to 75 mhz or 83 mhz, as
> you know, this changes the PCI bus from 33 mhz to 37.5 mhz or 41.5 mhz.
> Some PCI cards cannot handle this.

Yes, I'd heard that, too.  :)

<snip>

> If I were going to buy a new SCSI controller, I would go for an

I've already got one, and it's a dandy.  I run the BusLogic BT-958
PCI to Wide Ultra SCIS bus master host adapter.  But I'm considering
adding some, power to this P5-120 of mine, and I'm wondering
if I can expect the BusLogic to work at the higher speeds.

> Finally, I think that any speed increase from overclocking would be
> useless if it came with corrupted data or system instability. Better
> to wait 6 months (or whatever) for the upcomming 100 mhz bus
> motherboards where the PCI bus should be run asynchronously from the
> system bus, i.e. at the normal 33 mhz. That would make this whole
> speculation mute.

True enough about the corrupted data or instability.  I couldn't agree
more.  But waiting for the 100 mhz bus mobo's may involve both quite
a wait and quite a bit of additional cost, yes?

Thanks,

Lance