From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 12:32:39 -0400
> I have a Matsonic MS5120 motherboard that I'm going to use in a system I'm
> putting together. While I was setting the jumpers I noticed that a jumper
> for the Flash Rom was set for 5 volt and not the default (according to the
> manual)12 volt. Why is there a jumper for this and what would happen if it
> was set wrong and I tried to flash the Rom. Or is there two
> different Roms a 5 volt and a 12 volt?

        Yes there are, some need 12V to program, some program on 5V. The jumper is
there for your protection in case a 12V part is used. By setting it to 5V it
makes it impossible to reprogram the BIOS, to program you would jumper it to
12V, of course if you have a 5V part and give it 12V it would probably not
be happy. Check the software that came with your board, my ASUS board has a
program that reports the type of chip and the voltage needed. TTYL