From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 15:55:01 -0800
On 19 Aug 98 at 9:32, James Kerr wrote:

> >I would like to upgrade my CPU.  I cannot afford the Intel Overdrive.  A
> >catalog, I have, lists three choices from the following manufacturors,
> >Evergreen Technologies, Zerus Hardware and PNY Techonologies.  They are
> >all about the same price and up my CPU from 75 to 180MHz.  They also
> >offer CPUs that would make the 75 a 200MHz for $30.00 more.
>

> Can you find out how to configure the motherboard? If you can get a AMD CPU
> or something like that, a 233 AMD K6 is down to under $80. I would
> definitely go that way, see if you can config the motherboard, find the
> jumper settings for it , just my 200,000 lira worth

  You've clipped off the line where he identifies his existing system
as a "Packard Bell POS P75".
  This means, to me, that the board was designed to deliver 50MHs
FSB, 1.5x multiplier only, and to be inexpensive and so *minimally*
configurable and upgradable.

  There are several products like the PowerLeap PowerStacker that
will add multiplier choices to an old board (but cost almost as much
as a new board...).  Presumably these other products listed above
*also* do something to jack the FSB up to 60 or 66 MHz without
stressing the other system components (such as RAM) too much.

David G