From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 10:26:12 -0400
If it is a serial terminal, and the keyboard connector looks like an
RJ-12 or RJ-11 phone connector, there are many interchangable keyboards
that will probably work with it.
You can use a serial terminal in text mode simply by hooking it to
a serial port on a pc with a null-modem [cross-over]cable (exception:
most terminals are DTE (data terminal equipment)and so will connect
to a DTE pc with a null-modem [cross-over]cable.  However, terminals
sometimes can be soft configured in BIOS as DCE (data communications),
which will mean you will need a straight thru cable).
Open a Dos box on the pc, and type COPY C:\WINDOWS\FAQ.TXT COM1
(substituting the com port the cable is attached at the PC end).
You will see the text on the Link screen.  If that works, try typing
CTTY CON1. The keyboard and monitor on the pc will go dead,
and the monitor and keyboard on the terminal will start working.
There is the danger that the character sets and keycodes don't
match up, in which case you will need to cold boot the PC to get out.
To return control to the pc, type CTTY CON on the terminal keyboard.
At low rates like 19200, it is possible to run a serial terminal from a pc
using ordinary 4 lead flat phone cable, connecting lines 2,3,7, and 20
I think, on a 25 pin dsub connector.
Tom Turak