From:
James Maki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:29:01 -0800
I may be missing something, but the original poster did not mention 800MHz
FSB, just a minimum 800MHz processor. Perhaps the OP can tell us the reason
for the 800MHz requirement so we can better ascertain their needs?

The Compaq Presario 5006US is a circa 2001 model, definitely long in the
tooth. I have little experience upgrading brand name systems, having built
my own since about 1994. Without detailed motherboard specs, it is difficult
to  predict which cpus will function. While it does not seem unreasonable
that a 1Ghz will work, it is not a sure thing. I have a 800MHz based AMD
based board that I tried to upgrade to a 1.3MHz cpu. Didn't work. You are
also moving from a Celeron to a Pentium that MIGHT be a problem. A BIOS
upgrade MIGHT make it all work happily together.

If you can find the correct processor AND is will work in your system, that
would be your best solution given your $150 limit. Once you start upgrading
the motherboard, you often end up with new memory and having to replace old
peripherals and software that is no longer compatible. If you have not ever
opened up your system, replacing a cpu might be too daunting and having an
experienced assistant would be a plus. That said, I have built and upgraded
many a system and haven't screwed one up yet. Take your time. Check and
double check your installation instructions, and proceed slowly. Come back
to this forum for more details on cpu installation after you make your
choice.

As an alternative, you might be able to find a refurbished computer in the
price range that might be a better solution. Check Dell and Compaq, for
instance.

Hope this is not too discouraging. Once you start upgrading, it often
becomes more expensive than purchasing new which in the long run will give
you better performance.

Jim Maki