Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 17:16:54 -0700
> -protocals not the same, I have had to add netbeui many times on
> win 9x to "see" other computers (I know I know the books say you
> dont need IPX & NetBeui both)

  NetBEUI does everything on a broadcast basis, and uses the OS
rather than the NIC drivers to determine whether a given packet is
intended for this machine or not.

  Installing it can *fix* some probkems, but if it does then (a) your
IP (or IPX, if you're using that) configuration is WRONG, and (b) you
are probably making more efficient use of your LAN bandwidth (for <20
machines on the LAN) but also wasting CPU.
  (b) might not matter to you if you have new/fast machines, or if
the network is your bottleneck at least.
  (a), though, should bother you.  You've masked a problem, rather
than fixed it, and it may re-surface to haunt you long after you've
forgotten that you did that.

David Gillett
A+, MCSE, CCNA, unemployed