From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 06:30:19 -0500
For starters, it is not normal to need more than 1 attempt to boot up. You don't say what OS you are using, but I would guess it's win 98 or 98.2. If it needs 8 attempts, are the 7 incomplete boots always just that the monitor doesn't light up?  When it does boot up is the monitor completely normal during an entire session (like for hours, or are there interruptions during a session)?  I'd start by trying a known working video card in place of the one you currently have, and if that doesn't work a known working monitor.  Then a known working video cable.  You should boot into safe mode, especially if you are running a version of Win 98, and check everything in Device Mgr. to make sure the OS has not installed more than one of something, especially video cards and/or monitors.  Let us know the OS and what, if any, error messages you are seeing when Win finally does boot up.

>I have a unit that will normally boot after 1 to 8 attempts.
>Sometimes it will boot ok. Other times it powers up and will not
>send a signal to the monitor. Anyone seen this? The hard drive
>works fine and checks out ok. Norton says it is virus free. Give me
>some ideas.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com