From:
Mark J Kopczewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:01:10 -0500
I want to upgrade my Celeron 700 system to an AMD based 1800 system.  I have read the feature about this on this website but am concerned about the following:

Once the new motherboard/processor/psu/fan/ram etc has been installed, I need to transfer all my existing drives/graphics card etc over.  My primary drive (20 Mb)has Win ME on it with all my software/programmes/games.  My secondary drive (6.4 Mb) is a slave drive for additional storage.

I have been told I will need to scram the contents of my primary drive and re-install the OS!  Eeek!  The guide on this website suggests this is not the case.  What I don't want is to purchase the hardware then find the system will not configure itself and resulting in taking the whole lot to a PC repair shop to be re-configured etc.  The supplier of the upgrade hardware has recommedned I do the re-install of the OS.  They will be providing everything less the drives/graphics card.  I do not have a CD/RW or any other backup hardware apart from my slave drive.

Can anyone please afford me a full and frank answer to my question/dilemma?  What should I do?

Thanks for any advice.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com