From:
Larry Gurley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2007 23:33:01 -0800
I have a 2WIRE Home Portal phoneline router currently serving as the
DSL modem for my PC. Can I continue to use it as the DSL modem for a
wireless network?

Sometime in 2002, I think, I bought a 2Wire Home Portal Phoneline
network system from SBC (my dsl provider).  The router is connected
to dsl, the ethernet card in my PC, and the voice line for the phone.
I was never able to get the phoneline network to work. [2Wire
referred me to SBC. SBC techs said "we do phones, not networks" and I
eventually gave up.]

The 2Wire router has been functioning fine for the last 4 years,
AFAIK, as a dsl modem. I've bought a Linksys "Wireless-G Broadband
router, model WRT54GX2" with the intention of setting up a wireless
WinXP network: this WinXP desktop and 2 laptops, one running WinXP
and the other WinXP Media Edition.

I assume (hope) I can continue to use the 2Wire router as a dsl modem
with the Linksys router. Any cautions before I dismantle my
connection to the Internet? Any issues I haven't considered?

Thanks.

Larry

Lawrence T. Gurley

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,