From:
Peter Ramins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 01:30:13 -0400
>94mb on a 2.5gb hard drive is next to no space left. do a very complete
>defrag which will put all the remaining space in one spot. The  other
>problem, is that it is very likely that your swap file is using part of
that
>leftover space. your options then  would be a larger harddrive, an
additional
>harddrive  or removal of whatever files you think you dont use anymore and
>then do a defrag

    Some additional tweak things you can do to recover space on a small
drive are as follows:

Text/doc files. Kill them all. If you think you might need it later, check
to see if it's on the distribution media, or print it out and keep all of
the ones you print in a folder in a nearby drawer.

Zip files. No, don't delete them, make MORE. If you have a collection of
files (like clipart, or indispensible documents) that you rarely use, but
you only have them on your harddrive, archive them into a zip, and delete
the originals. This will save 'wasted cluster space'.

Compression formats.  Bitmaps and normal .wavs take up a lot of space!
Reformat them into .jpgs and wav layer 3 or similar. You get the idea. If
it's old, update it.

These are only a few of the tricks I had to do to manage no storage. There
are more, but I can't think of any because I haven't had to do it in years.
; )

-Peter Ramins

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org