From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:21:02 -0400
Hello,

It would be best to actually buy 2, 256m or 51m2 ddr400 ( pc3200), matched
memory pair, and install one in each bank.
That will give you the dual memory feature and the full bandwidth of 6.4gig
the memory channel can handle.

The memory has to be identical for the dual channel.  If you go out and buy
another ddr333 it may not
match up with the one you have, even if you buy the same Kingston value ram,
and you will not get the dual channel capability.  It helps the system with
about a 10% improvement.

The present 256 ddr333 you could most easily sell to one of your friends or
co-workers.  Wholesale price is about
$45 for that right now, same as for the 256m DDR 400.

Thanks and have a Great Day!

Joe Lore
Hello

I want to upgrade my computer system by installing a 256mb module of DDR
RAM. My present system consists of a 2.4 ghz cpu, intel d865gbf mobo , and
256 mb kingston value ram ddr 333. THe  mobo supports ddr 400 memory but I
have installed only a ddr 333 module. The mobo has 2 pairs of slots for
memory( 4 in total for a max 4gb). Assumming that I wish to keep this
existing memory module should I purchase a ddr 333 ram module or a ddr400
module? If I pair a ddr333 256mb module with the existing one, will the mobo
use dual channels to access memory or is it better to buy a ddr 400 256 mb
stick? Which option will give me better performance?  Please help me make an
informed decision.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml