From:
Daniel Skilleter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 03:35:11 +1000
First of all, you didn't mention what speed cpu you had
you only said what speed you have running it at, try dropping it to its
correct speed install windows and then experiment at what speed it can run
at, quite clearly a General Protection fault is caused by the overclocking.
Not all the CPU's manufactured are perfect and you may have just got one
that isn't as capable of being over clocked.
(What happens in the Chip manufacturing line is they make a chip at a
certain speed, then test it, if it fails at that speed they will try it at a
diferent speed if it is okay then it will be badged as a lower speed and
sold.

So i guess im saying try a different cpu, or don't bother overclocking.
And anyway a Gigabyte Motherboard is not the best for overclocking a cpu.
you are creating problems for yourself that way. Should of choosen an  Abit
socket A
Regards
Daniel Skilleter

>Hi everyone....
>
>Hoping someone can help.  I have built a custom system with the
>following:
>Gigabyte Soc A Mainboard, AMD Duron Processor, 128mb 133Mhz SDRAM, 20Gb
>Seagate HDD, 52x Creative Infra CDROM, 4 mb PCI video card.  The CPU is
>running at 665Mhz, because running it at 700 was to unstable?  Anyway I
>keep getting General Protection Faults, Fatal Exception Errors etc - and
>cannot even successfully install WIN98SE or WIN NT Workstation - I have
>swapped the memory chip and still can't get it to work - anyone have any
>suggestions???

                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>