From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 10:53:52 -0500
One possibility is that the cmos has been set to
do a "quick POST."  (Power on self test.)  If this
is set, then sometimes the hard drive does not
have time to get up to speed before the boot
sequence begins on a cold boot, but is up to
speed when you re-boot warm, so it does work
the second time.  Check your cmos.

Dean Kukral