From:
m_sayer_ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:54:47 -0000
Hi, have you thought of repartitioning and just running xp, no dual boot,
converting the FAT32 to NTFS? You complete the upgrade, and then do the
conversion. Here's a link to help:
http://www.ntfs.com/quest3.htm
I did this for my sister as she uses an xp upgrade, and her system has been
fine so far. Before the conversion, she had nothing but problems.
However, you will find that most people will say that these problems are
happening because you are not doing a 'full install' of xp.
Hope this helps.
Michele Sayer

Good Day PCBuild Listers, I have a problem and I'm hoping some of you can
offer some suggestions.  I recently built a system for my bro-in-law, it's
running with a Chaintech 7AIA5 KT133A motherboard with 1.3ghz duron
processor, 512mb of ram, 20gb maxtor drive, 128mb radeon card, dvd, cd-rw,
etc.  Pretty decent system.  We were originally running Win98 (first edition
not SE) on the system and we upgraded to WinXP, we kept both and we dual
boot between 98 & xp, we have 98 running on a 4gb partition, xp gets the
remaining 16gb (both partitions are fat32).  We can run Windows 98
indefinitely without any problems, however with winxp we run into system
freeze up problems.  It's not the install of xp because we've done it a few
times just to test it out (ie. removed win98 & formatted the entire hd,
 and installed xp by itself).  XP either hangs during boot up or when it
does run, after @ 20-30min of operation, they system freezes up completely -
we can't ctrl-alt-del to see what service or software failed or anything -
the system is just frozen and requires us power off/on the machine and
repeat the process. Also xp's chkdsk tends to report a truckload of problems
during most (not all) boot up's. We also find that this occurs more
frequently when we use the internet (high speed dsl).  I've run scandisk
several times to no avail, and Norton Utilities can't find any problems.
Ultimately we returned to a dual boot config just so that we could run win98
incase winxp became totally useless on any given day.  We're running with
all the updated drivers for this system.  Why would Windows 98 run
flawlessly and XP have all these problems?  We purchased a new WD 40gb drive
a few months ago and installed xp on it (we also tried win2k) but we get the
same issues - so it can't
be a drive issue from what I can tell. I've also tried switching the ide
cables and placing the hd on the secondary master instead of the primary
master since the motherboard provides for 2 ide connections - I can't say
for sure that this improves the situation - maybe a little but this isn't
reliable enough to say we've fixed the problems because we still experience
the system freeze up's in winxp.  Anybody else experience similar problems
like this?  Is it possible that it's a motherboard problem?  I've run
SiSoft's Sandra diagnostic and it hasn't reported anything (is there better
more thorough diag software out there?)  We would really like to run WinXP
since MS has ended support for Win98 and also since XP is the newest OS
available we would like to use it.  I am interested in any
comments/suggestions available.  Thanks for your help.....uncle rob,wpg.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com