From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 07:07:45 -0700
At 09:41 PM 04/01/2000 , Kathleen LaValley wrote:
>Hello all.
>
> > About a year ago, I determined that I had a virus (at that time some said
> > it sounded like a boot log virus?, which I think they said may or may not
> > be 'fixable' via virus removal software I used PC Cillin) .....so, I
> > reformatted, etc....
> >
> > Since then, I have reformatted again, for different reasons.. Recently
> > again I have had the same symptoms which are:
> >
> > I hear this music from the cpu box itself, as opposed to my speakers.. It
> > sounds like Russian music (reminds me of Tetris)...Apparently yesterday
> > when my son came home from work ( I leave the computer on most of the
> > time) he heard the music playing, it had started sometime on it's own
> > during the day and during no use!.   He turned the computer off.  I
> > restarted when I returned and there was no problem!! What on earth is
> > this, any ideas??
> >
> > I have had no real problems that I can tell.....Though my mouse has been
> > acting weird on occasion.....like it's hyperactive, and causing windows to
> > open and close repeatedly while the pointer flutters madly..

As two people have mentioned, some PCs have this feature integrated
for a hardware alarm and sound is played from the internal speaker.

However, before you move in just one direction, you should be
aware that there exists Master Boot Record virii that can create
this same symptom...  the virus causes the internal speaker to
play music from time to time.

With a MBR virus they are tricky to remove, but basically they
are hidden in the Master Boot Record on the hard drive and
formatting will not touch them.  You need to use FDISK to
clean it.  Start the PC with a clean boot disk that is set to
"read only."  Then, at the DOS prompt type:  FDISK /mbr

Another way to clean it is with a clean McAfee anti-virus boot
disk.  McAfee can usually clean these virii...

Finally, the sledge hammer and the ant approach is to remove
the partition entirely using FDISK and then create a new one,
followed by formatting the hard drive.

This type of virus is usually referred to as the Music Bug virus.

I am not stating you have this virus, only that it should not be
dismissed out of hand.  It is a possible cause of your PCs ails.

      Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org