From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 07:58:51 -0600
At 04:11 PM 6/18/99 , you wrote:
>I have a US Robotics Sportster 28800 external modem that I have been using
>for the past four years w/o any problems. Recently it has not been hanging
>up after disconnect. I have to remove the phone jack from the wall plug or
>turn the modem off to hang-up and get a dial tone. Not sure if this a
>hardware fault, phone line problem, or a software configuration. I
>reinstalled Windows 98 a few weeks ago, and perhaps something changed in
>the modem settings. I am not sure. Except for this problem, the modem works
>fine. I seem to recall having to set a string in the "Extra Settings" box,
>but this was a long time ago.

The first thing to check is the actual driver the modem is using.
Typically, Windows uses the Standard Modem driver for USR
modems.   If that is your case, download the latest driver from
3Com for your modem:  http://www.3com.com

Here is the Initilization string for your modem:
    AT&F&D2&C1&H1&R2&I0S7=55

In your "Extra Settings" box, add this portion to make it work properly:
   &F&D2&C1&H1&R2&I0S7=55

Remembering that WIndows98 adds the AT or 'attention modem'
command to the string you enter in the "Extra Settings" box, before
it uses those commands.  This should solve your problem, unless
the modem is going bad on you.

                Bob Wright
       The NOSPIN Group, Inc
http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org