From:
Kay Gibbs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:38:51 -0400
Ok, my pentium motherboard is a Selectron w/intel PCI set w/ ATI 3-D Rage II
+ DVD, SMC bios chip.
Standard voltage=3.3-3.465V
Pins 2 and 3 jumpered
VRE voltage=3.465-3.63V
Pins 1 and 2 jumpered

The Pentium II motherboard is an Anigma w/intel 8237 IEB PCI ISA IDE
Xcelerator chipset, with MPACT-2 media processor.  It features Ultra Direct
Memory Access and it has an intel FLASH Bios chip.  CPU 2.8v.

So you are saying remove the intel chipset and install an AMD K-6-2-3 set.
It doens't look like the chip is going to be easily removed without removing
the entire motherboard then using a soldering iron to remove the chip.  My
experience with this when I worked for ITT and Data General was minimal and
the outcome was not good.  Often the circuits would get stripped in the
process, if one was not careful.   I am not that displeased with the speed
of the pentium II, I just wanted to know for sure which system would
accommodate the hard drive I purchased and in which system I shoud use it
in.

I'm not sure I want to tackle removing a chip and replacing it, although I
did find the AMD K6-2 chip for $14.95 like you said.   But if you upgraded
the chipset wouldn't you want to get the bios that accommodate that chipset
instead of using the one that came with the old chipset?

Kay

>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] What's my best option?
>Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:37:26 EDT
>
>Kay,
>
>I would again check to see if the chipset on your motherboard had a BIOS
>update available that would support an AMD K6-2 or AMD K6-3.  The 66 MHz
>bus with
>the 2.0 multiplier will give you 6.0 times your bus speed or 66 x 6 = 396
>MHz
>processor speed.  For twenty dollars there is nothing you can add to your
>present machine to make it faster for less.  Information must be managed
>by the
>chipset and manipulated by your CPU and a slow CPU means a slow machine.
>
>You need to know what motherboard you have and if it supports 2.0 to 2.4
>CPU
>voltage.  Most boards made from 1996 to 1999 do have this feature.  The
>aftermarket BIOS updates are available from several sites on the web
>without charge.
>
>Regards,
>Mike Scott
>
>          PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download

                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>