From:
"James E. Griffin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 13:16:35 -0400
Hi folks,

Can't give much on specs of computer system; friend called with problem,
all he knows is it's a PIII 350. No idea who makes the various hardware
until I crack the box on Monday. I'm afraid to find what was done before
he called me. No idea how many people have been in this box before me --
sometimes, I've found folks reluctant to tell the whole story.

Original problem: static on previously good line; modem unable to
connect. Friend evidently went out and bought a new modem card. After
installation -- at least he knew to watch for static -- still doesn't
work. Then he calls me. Had him switch phone cables with known good one.
Had him call folks who installed his home office phone system to have
lines checked. I THINK they found a bad phone line -- 1 of 3, leaves 2
working lines.

Friend told me he couldn't uninstall modem driver #1, which properties
told him was corrupt: uninstall then re-install driver. Yep, he had 2
modem drivers on a machine with 1 modem. (Sounds like the install of the
other modem he just bought to me.) Had him delete modem #2 thru control
panel -- worked no problem. When he tries to do same with modem #1, the
system hangs.

What diagnostic advice would folks suggest when I get there monday? I'd
hate to lug my laptop and everything else just to find something simple
but obscure.

Best regards,
Jim Griffin

--
Prometheus was the first Beta Tester.
Sisyphus was the Corinthian Systems Administrator.

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org