From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 22:37:04 -0400
Marshall,

I too, use Pricewatch to get great deals, but as a new builder
you should be aware that buying lots of parts from lots
of vendors can be a REAL HEADACHE if things
don't go just right.

For example......
did a problem with the motherboard burn out the power supply
or did the power supply fry the motherboard?  If you bought
the two pieces from different vendors, you can imagine the
problems you could run up against when trying to exchange
the dead parts.

Now don't let that scare you off.....
In most cases,
with a fair amount of mechanical ability,
and careful attention to detail,
(howzat for waffling? <grin>)
building a PC is fun project and has a high percentage of
successful completion with no problems.

As a new builder, I suggest you consider buying a kit from someone like
www.TigerDirect.com
Their prices are reasonable, they have great customer support,
AND you get all the parts from a single source, so there are no
hassles IF you have a problem.

Once you have your first custom build under your belt,
then wade out into the deep water.

Jim Meagher