From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 08:51:03 -0600
At 07:49 AM 8/31/98 , Kim Hillyer wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I know that there have been many posts along this thread, but until
>recently, I'd only had one point of reference.
>
>I have a 33.6 USR Sportster with voice/data/fax, which I have been using
>with the same ISP for almost 3 years.
>
>It has NEVER connected faster than 26,400.
>A few months ago I had reason to connect an old Packard Bell P100 to the
>same phone line (the system w/the 33.6 was on the bench for repairs).
>
>The PB has an all-in-one 28.8 fax/modem sound card.
>While using the PB, I connected (same phone line, same ISP, same times
>of day) consistently at 28,800.
>

>I recently installed a "56k" V.90 Lucent chip set modem into a friend's
>computer, and it also dials up at 26,400.
>
>Is there a reason for this inconsistency between modems?
>Is there any way to get them up to speed?

You have two different issues in your question.   The 33.6k & 28.8k
modems that are showing you connect speeds of 26K+  are in most
probablity connecting properly.   Your software settings, line noise
and the port settings on the modem at the ISP will determine the speed
your system registers at time of connect.  This 'does not' mean the modems
are not able to move the data at the maximum of their capabilty.   You
will need to actually transfer data with the modems to determine your
connection speed and you will need to use a compressed file to do this.
Uncompressed files, such as text or documents are not compressed and
the modem will compress them to move the data making the data transfer
speed appear to be much higher.  I recommend using either a ZIP or RAR
file and a program like CuteFTP to actually watch your data transfer speed.

Now, the 56K modem.   If your connect speed is below 40K, then it is not
able to setup the proper protocols for data transfer with the modem on
the other end, (most likely your ISP).   You need to contact the ISP,
(that is assuming this is the site of the other modem), and determine if
your 56K modem is compatible with their modem.    Due to the competing
Flex vs X2 protocols for the early 56k modems, there still are some instances
of the v.90 protocol that will not setup a dual side connection needed to
achieve speeds in excess of 33.6k.

Now, with that said, remember that the V.90 protocol only can be implemented
on the server side.  This means that due to telephone line restrictions modems
with the 56K ability can achive a maximum of 53K download from the server to
the client and uploads from the client to the server of 31.2k.   I would contact
your ISP and their tech support first.  They know best about their modems and
what maybe required on your end in the way of additional modem initilization
string characters to achive maximum data transfer between the two modems.

BOB WRIGHT  -   The NOSPIN GROUP
   [log in to unmask]   -   http://nospin.com
Listserv Owner   PCBUILD  -  PCSOFT
                          PC-PDA  -   I-GAMES

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**