From:
"Steve @ Steve's P.C.'s" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:13:55 -0500
Greetings listers,
                        I have just put together a machine ( my 40th over seven years ) that is doing things that are puzzling to me. I know I'm having a hardware failure somewhere but cannot pin point this one. I asembled board, processor, and cooler. I set the jumpers and switches as per the manual. This was installed in the case along with the floppy, hard drive, and video card. I then booted using a Me start up disk and partitioned and formated the hard drive. All was well at this point. I then installed the CD-RW and DVD units and rebooted with CD rom support.Still all well. I then began the Windows install. Here the first gremlin appeared. I had no mouse.
I shut the machine down and rechecked all connections. I then restarted the machine and started the install of Windows over. This time I had a mouse.The install went fine and the first boot showed a normal desktop with Windows recognizing all drives and components. At this point I installed the board software and then the video software. Rebooted and all looked normal. At this point I noticed an oscillation of a fan motor. When it would slow down, I was sitting away from the cabinet and by the time leaned toward the pc to determine location it would speed back up. I shut the system down normally and rechecked the connections. I installed the modem. On the initial boot after adding this component, I had a spontaneous reboot during the Me splash screen. I let the machine come all the way up this time by itself and thought all was well. I was wrong. It recognized the modem but the mouse pointer sat mid screen with me having no control. I shut it down using the keyboard and thought it may have been a conflict with that slot. It would not auto shut down, instead stopping at the "It is ok to turn off your computer " screen. I held the switch and allowed it to power down, and I pulled the modem. Started back up and all was ok again. Shut it down and it went all the way down as it should. I reinstalled the modem in a different slot and restarted. Once again it saw the modem, but the mouse wouldnt work and it would not shut down. Keyboarded it down and had to use power switch. Pulled the modem and this time it stays in the same mode. No mouse and it will not auto power down. I hope this is enough info on the build to get some help. Any and all answers will be graciously considered for implimentation.
The PC component list:
1st Mainboard AD 11 - KQ11A02867, AMD Althon XP 1800+, Rated cooler for cpu, 256 Mb.PNY pc2100 ddr, PC Chips SIS 315 64Mb Video card with TV Out, Maxtor 40 Gb. 7200/ata133, Mitsumi floppy, Artec 48x 12x 48x CD-RW, DVS 16x DVD, all in a "Super Power" case with a 350  watt CodeGen PS. Still to be installed is a USR 5699B PCI modem and a GigaFast 10/100 nic.
Thanks for any help you guys (and gals) can give.
Respectfully,
Stephen Hager

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml