From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:36:55 -0400
alan smith wrote:
> Amy, thanks for the idea, but this is a 5 year old DELL and there is no
> default on this setup, and since it doesn't find the CD or hard drive,
> I can't reach F8. And, since I bought it used, I can't go to DELL for
> help.  Somebody must know how to program the BIOS chip????
>                                                     AL SMITH

Al:
A couple of suggestions:

1. My son was given an older Dell computer by his wife's boss, and we
had no problems getting information about it from the Dell site. When
Dell builds a new computer, they put a sticker on the case that
identifies that particular computer. Assuming the sticker hasn't been
removed, you can go to the Dell site and get a list of every bit of gear
that was originally installed on it as well as links to the appropriate
Dell documentation for it. Somewhere in there you will learn how to
access the BIOS.

2. On some computers (Compaq does; don't know about Dell) have a jumper
on the motherboard that prevents access to the BIOS. If your computer is
so equipped, you will find information in the manual about resetting it.

HTH

Best regards,
Carroll Grigsby

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: